Thursday, September 13, 2012

Theatre Thursday: Queen Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots Share the Stage (Again)

Today for Theatre Thursday, I bring you an article from the Edmonton Journal, concerning the eternal rivalry of Queen Elizabeth I of England and Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots.

A miniature of Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard,  circa 1586. Picture acquired through Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.



 Their lives have once again been adapted onto the stage, this time by a female playwright, Annette Loiselle.

A miniature of Mary, the deposed Queen of Scots, done by Hilliard during her captivity in England, circa 1586.
Picture acquired through Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.

This article discusses not only Loiselle's new play, The Passion of Mary, but also how history buffs find themselves on either, "Team Elizabeth" or "Team Mary" (I think it goes without saying which team I am on!). Loiselle also hopes modern audiences will compare and contrast modern female political leaders with Queen Elizabeth and Mary, Queen of Scots.

Read Dramatic Women on the Political Stage.